As we say hello to spring, it is important that we cleanse our bodies so they can take on all the wonderful aspects this season has to offer. Here are some easy steps to follow to detoxify your body to help you feel your very best!
1. Fresh lemon water– Get rid of all the winter toxins that are stored up in your body by starting your day with a gentle detox. Upon waking, have a warm glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon. Wait 15-20 minutes before having your morning coffee or breakfast. You will notice a nice boost of energy after trying this for a week or so. If you feel your mornings are too busy to add this extra step, try prepping the lemon water the night before. Keep it beside your bed so you can drink it right when you get up! This will save you some time.
2. Consume green juices – Load up on all those power antioxidants with some green juicing. When buying juices at the store, be careful with how much fruit they are adding in (often times it is far too much!). Your best bet is to get a green juice that is made with 100% vegetables! This will give you the most benefit with the least amount of sugar.
3. Boost your fiber – Proper digestion and elimination is the best way to ensure you are getting rid of any stored up toxins. Try increasing your fiber intake by adding chia seeds, ground flax seeds, and all bran buds into your daily routine. You can even try adding a tablespoon on chia seeds into your morning lemon water for an extra kick of fiber!
4. Water, water, water – Keeping your body hydrated is one of the most important things we can do to keep our cells in tip top shape. Water is also one of the most effective ways to cleanse the system, help promote weight loss, boost energy levels, and reduce inflammation. Aim for 2 L of water a day (not including water you drink during exercise). You can also try iced herbal teas for a more refreshing spring option.
5. Reduce caffeine – For many people, caffeine intake usually increases significantly over the darker winter months. Now is the time to take advantage of the long, bright spring days and reduce your caffeine intake to 1 cup per day. Go outside for a long walk and get some vitamin D to boost your energy naturally! You can also try swapping that extra cup of coffee for a detoxifying cup of green tea which is loaded with beneficial antioxidants that will give you a more natural energy boost.
6. Incorporate bitter foods – Bitter foods are an excellent cleansing method and your liver will thank you for consuming them! Foods such as arugula, endives, dandelion greens and kale are some of the most effective bitter foods you can incorporate. Throw them into your salads and smoothies for an effective cleansing method.
Dr. Joey’s detox salad
- 1 cup of red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 cup of white cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 cups of kale, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced in matchsticks
- 2 cups of broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- ¼ cup of dried cranberries
- Juice of 3 lemons (approximately ½ cup)
- 3 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon of coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make dressing, place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk together until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and toss well.
- Toss dressing with vegetables and mix well.
- Top with sesame seeds, cranberries and avocados pieces on top and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis: calories 226, fat 17g, carbohydrates 17g, fiber 8g, protein 4g