Summer is the perfect season to load up on all the delicious seasonal vegetables that are now available to us at the farmers market and grocery stores. Get a variety of nutrients, vitamin and minerals with a wide array of colourful salads this summer!
Salad in a jar
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup yellow peppers
- ¼ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- In a mason jar, layer the quinoa, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, carrots and arugula.
- In a small to-go container, add the dressing ingredients.
- When ready to eat, add the dressing, shake to mix and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis: calories 360, fat 18g, carbohydrates 46g, fiber 7g, protein 10g
Grilled endive salad
- 4 endives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Rinse endives and cut in half. Place into bowl and toss with ½ tablespoon olive oil.
- Place endives onto grill over high heat and grill for 6-8 minutes, until endives are charred.
- Add endives back into bowl and toss with the other ½ tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and enjoy while still warm.
Nutritional analysis: calories 125, fat 10g, carbohydrates 5g, fiber 4g, protein 7g
Summer detox salad
- 1 cup of red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 cup of white cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 cups of kale, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 cup of carrots, sliced in matchsticks
- 2 cups of broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- ¼ cup of dried cranberries
- Juice of 3 lemons (approximately ½ cup)
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon of coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make dressing, place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk together until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and toss well.
- Toss dressing with vegetables and mix well.
- Top with sesame seeds, cranberries and avocados pieces on top and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis: calories 226, fat 17g, carbohydrates 17g, fiber 8g, protein 4g
Summertime Greek salad
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, olives, red onion, and feta cheese to a serving bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, sea salt, and pepper together in a bowl until dressing is smooth; pour over noodles and toss to coat.
- Allow salad to sit in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis: calories 190, fat 11g, carbohydrates 21g, fiber 6g, protein 7g
Apple and walnut kale salad
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups kale leaves, stemmed and torn into small pieces
- 1 cup apples, sliced
- ½ cup celery, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 4 oz goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon toasted walnut pieces
- In a serving bowl, combine vinegar, oil, maple syrup sea salt and pepper.
- Add kale and toss well. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add apple, celery, onion, goat cheese, and walnuts and toss together.
Nutritional analysis: calories 154, fat 10g, carbohydrates 11g, fiber 3g, protein 7g
1 Comment on DELICIOUS AND HEALTHY SUMMER SALADS
Oh my, so many amazing salads here. I really wish I wasn’t stuck in freezing winter temperatures right now because I want to eat them all.