Banana ice cream was all the rage last summer as it’s a healthy dairy-free alternative to regular ice cream. It is quick and easy to prepare and has only 1 main ingredient – frozen bananas! This healthy snack will last you all summer long. There are so many ways to flavour your banana ice cream and here are my favourite recipes below…
How to prepare your bananas for this healthy snack
It is important to remove the peel from your bananas before freezing them as it’s very hard to remove them once you’ve frozen the bananas. Take off the peel, dice into 1/2″ rounds and put in a freezer-safe container. Cutting the bananas into smaller chunks will help when it comes time to process them.
The basics of banana ice cream
Making banana ice cream is as simple as adding the frozen banana chunks to a food processor fitted with an “S” blade and pulsing until smooth. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the food processor periodically to make sure everything is blended smoothly. You can eat your banana ice cream as is, but look into some of the flavour combinations below for an extra special healthy snack!
Note – estimate about 1 whole frozen banana per person as a base for serving size suggestions.
My favourite flavour combinations for banana ice cream
- Chocolate peanut butter banana ice cream – Add 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter with 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cacao powder to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Strawberry banana ice cream – Add 2 pitted dates and 1/2 cup frozen strawberries to the food processes and process until smooth.
- Vanilla banana ice cream – Simply add 1 tsp pure vanilla extract to the base of bananas.
- Matcha banana ice cream – Add 1 tsp spirulina and 1-2 tsp matcha to taste.
- Blueberry banana ice cream – Add 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries and 1 tbsp maple syrup (or to taste).
This delicious dairy-free summer treat has no artificial sweeteners and is lower in sugar than store-bought ice cream. Give these flavour combinations a try and let me know your favourites below!
Like what you’ve read? Check out my favourite refreshing smoothie recipes here!