I couldn’t wait any longer to share this pizza-themed blog post with you because I LOVE PIZZA more than anyone! I’m almost tempted to say that pizza is a staple food in my house because we love getting our hands messy making our own gluten-free, dairy-free version of a traditional pizza. The best part is that everyone gets the chance to get creative with their favourite toppings to add to these gluten-free pizza crusts and for those that are dairy-free, I have listed some popular options for dairy-free cheese below. I am thrilled to be able to provide you with a guide to make your own healthy pizza at home!
Grab a gluten-free pizza crust from your local grocery or health food store, top it with one of our listed healthy tomato sauces and get creative with your toppings. The more veggies the better!
Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- Uncrusts by unbun – grain-free and only 3g of non-fibre carbs. This crust is made from almond flour, coconut flour and pumpkin seed protein.
- Carb Smart Express Grain-Free Pizza Crust – nut free, gluten free and keto certified made from organic free-range eggs and coconut flour.
- Cali’flour Foods Cauliflower Pizza Crust – gluten free, grain free, no sugar added and no artificial preservatives. Made from 4 simple ingredients: cauliflower, cheese, eggs and spices.
- Simple Mills Pizza Dough Baking Mix – gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, dairy-free. Made with almond flour and ground flax seeds.
Healthy Tomato Sauce
- Rao’s Homemade Margherita Pizza Sauce – vegan, dairy-free, no sugar added
- Rao’s Pizza Sauce – vegan, gluten-free
- Eden Organic Canned Pizza Sauce – made with extra virgin olive oil and all organic ingredients
Dairy-Free Shredded Cheese
- Daiya – Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Daiya – Classic Blend Shreds
- Follow Your Heart – Mozzarella Shreds
- Follow Your Heart – Pizzeria Blend Shreds
Healthy Pizza Toppings
- Baby spinach
- Sliced mushrooms
- Chicken breast (cooked and sliced)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red onions
- Roasted garlic
- Roasted red peppers
- Sundried tomatoes
- Piller’s Toppings Turkey Pepperoni – alternative to traditional pepperoni
- Extra lean ground beef (cooked)
- Gardein The Ultimate Beefless Ground – a gluten-free, kosher, vegan, dairy-free alternative to ground beef
Grain-Free Zucchini Almond Flour Crust Recipe
For the crust:
- ½ cup almond flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 medium zucchini (about 2 cups, shredded)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Fine sea salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
For the toppings:
- 5 small mini bell peppers, thinly sliced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ jalapeño, sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped (can also use shredded)
- Dried oregano for sprinkling on top
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with racks in the top and bottom positions. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust it with almond flour.
- Lay out a large piece of cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel and, using a box grater, grate the zucchini onto the towel. Gather the sides of the cheesecloth or towel and squeeze out excess liquid over the sink. Put the zucchini in a large bowl.
- Beat 2 eggs and add them to the bowl, along with the almond flour, oregano, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Mix well until it takes on a dough-like texture. If the mixture is too wet, add a tablespoon or two of the almond flour.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and form it into a 10-inch round or two 5-inch rounds. Lightly spray the crust(s) with cooking spray and bake on the lower rack of the oven for about 15 minutes, until the edges are browned and the crust is firm.
- In a small bowl, toss the veggies with the olive oil.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Scatter evenly with the peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, red onion, and mozzarella pieces. Bake for about 7-10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season with a little more salt and pepper, dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Serve hot.
If you try out some of the suggested brands and ingredients above, be sure to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram at @drjoeyshulman.
If you like what you read, be sure to check out our other healthy recipes here.