When it comes to weight loss, healthy snacking is a must! It is an effective way to keep your blood sugars balanced which helps to reduce your need to binge on unhealthy food choices throughout the day.
You should always aim to have 1-2 snacks each day. Morning snack (around 10 AM) is optional while your afternoon snack (around 3:30-4:00 PM) is required! This is the time of day when your blood sugars naturally dip and you hit that familiar afternoon slump (i.e., tired, moody, irritable).
Here are some strategies for healthy snacking:
- Prepare your snacks ahead of time so you can easily grab them on the go (i.e., count nut portions into little baggies, make a large batch of hard boiled eggs, measure hummus portions into little Tupperware to stack in your fridge, etc.)
- Stock your fridge with healthy snack options to reduce the need to rely on buying a snack out of the house.
- Spend some time cutting your fruits and vegetables at the beginning of the week. This will save you time during the week and will increase your chance of actually grabbing the healthy options.
- Each snack should contain a protein, healthy fat, or fiber source. It is never recommended to have fruit or vegetables on their own for a snack – they will not keep you full for very long!
- After dinner, only snack on “free foods” – i.e., veggie or chicken broth, cut up vegetables, kale chips (click here for a recipe), or skinny chews.
Top 12 metabolism boosting snack ideas:
- 100g container of 2% cottage cheese + ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 light laughing cow cheese wedges + celery sticks
- 1 tablespoon natural almond butter + 1 sliced apple
- 40 pistachios + 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons hummus + carrot sticks and pepper slices
- 1 hard boiled egg + cucumber rounds
- 10 cashews + ½ cup grapes
- ½ cup raspberries + 6 walnuts halves
- 2 tablespoons guacamole + 6 brown rice crackers
- Light baby bell cheese + ½ cup sliced strawberries
- Coconut energy balls (click here for a great recipe)
- Healthy protein bar (i.e., Simply bar, Genuine Health Fermented bars, Bounce balls)
be the first to comment