When our schedules get busy, healthy food choices can often fall off our radar and we end up grabbing food on the go – which let’s face it, is often not the right choice! Here are some ways to stay healthy, even on a busy schedule!
1. Have a plan – This is by the far the most effective way to keep yourself on the right track when your schedule gets busy! Take some time on a Sunday to make a simple meal plan to get yourself organized for the week ahead.
2. Prepare your meals ahead of time – It’s a good idea to do a bit of meal prep ahead of time so you have easy, grab-and-go food options throughout the week. Make a batch of mini quiches (click here for a delicious recipe), healthy chicken fingers, cut up vegetables, hard boiled eggs, healthy protein based soups, or fresh salads. It is also a good idea to pre-portion things like nuts, seeds, and fruit so you can easily grab them before heading out the door.
3. Bring snacks with you – Don’t rely on grabbing snacks out of the house because often times, it is hard to find a healthy snack on the go, especially when your blood sugars are dipping and you are hungry. Throw a healthy snack in your bag that you can grab when you get hungry. Some great snack ideas include:
- cut up veggies and 2 tablespoons hummus
- an apple and 40 pistachios
- celery sticks and 1 tablespoon of nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut, sunflower seed, etc.)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with berries
- a healthy protein bar (Simply bars and Bounce balls are fantastic)
- 1/2 cup grapes and 12 almonds
These snacks are loaded with healthy fats and proteins that will fill you up until your next meal or snack!
4. Stay hydrated – When we get dehydrated, it can often be mistaken for hunger so make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day. I find it helpful to keep a big water bottle on your desk that you can fill up as needed. It is easier to remember to drink when you have a big bottle visible all day long!
5. Take time for yourself – When your day gets busy and over whelming, you need some you time! So go out for a quick walk around the block or take a bath to help relax. It is hard to stay healthy and focused when your cortisol levels are constantly high!
6. Schedule your exercise ahead of time – Plan out when you can exercise ahead of time, mark it in your calendar and let your family know! If it is scheduled in, you can plan the rest of your day around and it will remain a priority.
7. Get some sleep – Even when life gets super busy, sleep remains a top priority for health and weight loss. Try to get into bed at a reasonable hour and avoid bringing technology with you. Aim for 7-8 hours of good quality sleep each night!
2 Comments on HOW TO STAY ON TRACK WITH A BUSY SCHEDULE
I do not like any fish and/or seafood. What can I replace it with. Thank you in advance.
Thank you Dr. Joey.
Your tips are fantastic and make a lot of sense.
I am having trouble getting the 7-8 hrs quality sleep due to hot flashes and night sweats.
My mother had breast cancer so HRT is not an option for me. Any suggestions????