Treat your mom to a beautiful, homemade brunch this Mother’s Day. Make a nice spread with some of these healthy and delicious dishes she is sure to love!
Apple cinnamon muffins
- 5 organic eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted very well
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line the muffin tins or spray with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Put all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix together. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until starting to brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 muffins
Nutritional analysis: calories 135, fat 8g, carbohydrates 14g, fiber 5g, protein 4g
Asparagus, leek and goat cheese frittata
- 1 teaspoon of butter or coconut oil spray
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (discard the ends)
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, both white and green parts
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 organic eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease an oven-safe skillet with butter or coconut oil. Heat the skillet over medium heat, then sauté the asparagus for 5 minutes.
- Add in the leeks and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 10 more minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper and pour the beaten eggs over the top, using a fork to make sure the vegetables are completely covered.
- Crumble the goat cheese evenly across the top, then place the skillet in the oven to bake until the top is lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve warm.
Nutritional analysis: calories 220, fat 15g, carbohydrates 5g, fiber 1g, protein 17g
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 slice of sprouted grain bread
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mash avocado and spread onto toast.
- Top with cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional analysis: calories 214, fat 11g, carbohydrates 20g, fiber 8g, protein 6g
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, paprika, tomato paste, and olive oil in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, over low heat until thick, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle the tomato sauce into a greased pan. Bring to a simmer and break the eggs over the tomatoes.
- Gently break the yolks with a fork. Add parsley, goat’s cheese and sea salt and pepper on top. Cover and continue to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until the eggs are set. Enjoy hot!
Nutritional analysis: calories 480, fat 34g, carbohydrates 24g, fiber 7g, protein 25g
Individual yogurt parfait cups
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (1-2%)
- ¼ cup vanilla Greek yogurt (1-2%)
- ½ cup of your favourite fruit or berry (or you even can use a different fruit for each parfait)
- ¼ cup homemade granola (see recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Get a small individual parfait cup and layer the bottom with the plain Greek yogurt.
- Add ¼ cup of the fruit and 1/8 cup of the granola to the cup.
- Then add the vanilla Greek yogurt on top. Add the remaining fruit and granola and drizzle with honey.
- Repeat to make as make as many individual yogurt cups as you need!
Nutritional analysis: calories 330, fat 12g, carbohydates 44g, fiber 5g, protein 19g
Grain free granola
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- 1 cup walnuts, halved
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine all nuts and seeds in large mixing bowl. Stir in maple syrup and spices until combined.
- Spread evenly on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-15 min and turn mixture.
- Add dried fruit and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until golden or browned to your liking.
- Allow mixture to cool thoroughly and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutritional analysis: calories 190, fat 16g, carbohydrates 10g, fiber 3g, protein 6g
Healthy French toast
- 1-2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 2 slices of sprouted grain bread
- Beat eggs and add cinnamon. Mix until combined
- Heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a small pot. Add strawberries and lightly sauté for 5 minutes.
- Melt other teaspoon of butter in a pan on medium heat. Dip bread into egg mixture.
- Cook until browned and flip. When other side is browned put 2 slices on a plate and top with cooked strawberry mixture. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis: calories 380, fat 20g, carbohydrates 35g, fiber 8g, protein 20g
You can also check out our newsletter (click here) for some great, last minute gift ideas for Mom!