I made you look didn’t I? How could I possibly combine the taste of a bagel with tofu and make it work? Well I must say….it works and it is delicious! Enjoy this easy recipe made in the air fryer that takes only 15 minutes. If you do not have an air fryer -no worries -there are instructions below on how to make it in your oven. Tofu is a great protein alternative if you are looking to reduce your meat consumption and go more plant based. Enjoy!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the tofu:
- Tofu – you are looking for firm tofu to cut into cubes.
- Bagel seasoning – You can order any you like -here is the bagel seasoning I ordered.
- Avocado oil – It adds richness to the tofu and helps it crisp up in the air fryer.
- Cornstarch – For crunch! It creates a delicious crispy coating around the outside of the tofu.
Note: If you want to make your tofu extra crispy, once you remove it from the package, press all the water out of it with a paper towel and let it sit for about 30 minutes prior to cutting into cubes.
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons of everything but the bagel seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Press the water out of the tofu and then cut into cubes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, add oil over the tofu. Sprinkle the cornstarch and bagel seasoning over the tofu and toss again. Don’t be shy to use a lot of seasoning! You can also add extra pepper and salt if desired.
- Place the tofu cubes into the air fryer basket in a single layer with a little space between each piece. Don’t overcrowd the basket. Work in batches if necessary. Air fry for 11 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown and crisp around the edges. The exact timing will depend on your air fryer. Repeat with any remaining tofu. Here is the air fryer I own.
Please note: If you do not have an air fryer, bake in the oven at 400 for about 35-30 minute.