It’s absolutely freezing outside and nothing feels better than a warm bowl of stew at this time of the year. One of the keys to successful weight loss is including a source of protein at every meal. These stews are packed with protein and make for easy meal prep at the beginning of the week. Your family will love these recipes and they’re great to keep on hand to ensure you are getting in a hearty serving of vegetables and some plant-based protein into your diet.
Spicy Chickpea Stew
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced (Note: for a milder stew, remove seeds)
- 1½-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dried chickpeas OR 1 cup cooked chickpeas (from a can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped, for garnish
- In a large bowl, add dried chickpeas and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Soak overnight, for 8 to 18 hours. Drain. Alternatively, used cooked canned chickpeas. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium until melted. Add cumin and toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add onion, celery, carrots and salt and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and ginger and sauté for 1 minute. Add turmeric and cinnamon stick and stir to combine.
- Stir in 2 cups water, tomatoes and chickpeas. Increase heat to bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Add garam masala and stir to combine; remove cinnamon stick. Ladle soup into serving bowls, dividing evenly. Top with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Easy Vegetarian Bean Stew
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 7 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups chopped chard or spinach
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 2 tbsp minced basil or dried
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Grated peel of 1 lemon (optional)
- Sautee onions over medium heat, add water/vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add kidney beans, rice and mustard; cover and cook for 1-2 hrs until the beans are tender
- Add the greens, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and lemon peels during the last 10 min of cooking time. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
Moroccan Turmeric Chicken Stew
Makes 4 servings
- 8 oz. chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup onions, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, cooked
- Parsley for garnish
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over high heat and add in olive oil.
- Add carrots, onions, and garlic. Sautee 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Place diced chicken in the pot and season with salt & pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add turmeric, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, diced tomatoes with juices, and chicken stock to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring stew to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cover the pot and cook 45 minutes over low heat.
- Serve with cooked cauliflower rice and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
If you are having trouble reaching your weight loss goals this winter, reach out to my clinic at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get you back on track to feeling your absolute best.
Did you like these recipes for hearty, protein-packed weight loss stews? Check out my family-favourite healthy pizza recipe here.
be the first to comment