Feeling bloated is a common problem for many people and can be caused by issues such as irregular bowel movements or excessive gas. The foods that you eat and the beverage you drink have the potential to affect gas and bloating. Here are my favourite foods to help fight bloating and get you feeling your best!
Yogurt is packed with probiotics which helps improve the regularity of bowel movements. Probiotics have been shown to reduce bloating and distension in common conditions like irritable bowel syndrome and regular intake of probiotic-rich foods will keep bloating at bay.
Berries such as blueberries, blackberries and strawberries are very high fiber and are also loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. A fiber-rich diet keeps bowel movements regular and can enhance the health of your gut to fight bloating.
Cucumbers are primarily made up of water and are a great snack to keep you hydrated. Eating hydrating foods are great to reduce bloating to help prevent water retention and bloating caused by dehydration. Pack yourself some cucumbers and dip as a refreshing snack!
Green tea is a great beverage to keep you hydrated and promotes weight loss. The antioxidants in green tea neutralize free radical damage and reduce inflammation in the body. Green tea contains caffeine which stimulates digestive tract movement which in turn supports digestive regularity.
Ginger is a powerful herb known to soothe digestive distress by preventing bloating and distension. On your next trip to the grocery store, grab some ginger tea bags or even better, pick up a fresh ginger root and steep it in hot water to make a soothing ginger beverage.
Kombucha is a fermented beverage made from green or black tea. Like yogurt, kombucha is rich in probiotics which promote gut health and digestive regularity. Kombucha is hydrating and anti-oxidant rich. Make sure to check the nutrition label to evaluate the sugar content as some kombucha flavours can be very high in sugar.
Leafy greens are high in fiber and part of a well-rounded diet. Including leafy greens in your lunches and dinners is a great way to promote digestive regularity and prevent bloating due to constipation. Add spinach to your smoothies and be sure to include side salads with lunches and dinners to keep your intake high.
Some other helpful tips to improve digestion and reduce bloating:
- Chew your food slowly – make sure you really chew each bite of food as the digestive process begins in the mouth!
- Eat in a relaxed environment – stress greatly impacts digestion so eating in a quite, calm environment is key.
- Consider a digestive supplement – speak with your healthcare provider or nutritionist if you would like to consider a supplement.
- Pay attention to your gut health and consider a probiotic supplement – speak with your healthcare provider or nutritionist if you are looking into probiotic supplements.
- Eliminate irritating foods from your diet – some of these include dairy, gluten, corn, wheat and soy.
Like what you’ve read? Check out this article on food hacks that actually work!